GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Federal Crop Insurance Commission Act of 1988 - States that the purpose of this Act is to:
(1) ensure the review of the Federal crop insurance program; and
(2) recommend changes necessary to lessen or eliminate the need for additional disaster payment programs in order to reduce Federal costs and provide farmers with equitable and predictable natural disaster protection.
Establishes the Commission for the Improvement of the Federal Crop Insurance Program. Sets forth membership and operating provisions.
Directs the Commission to:
(1) determine why crop insurance program participation is lower than anticipated;
(2) identify States and commodities with low participation; and
(3) recommend program improvements.
Sets forth particular areas to be examined, including:
(1) program insurance coverage;
(2) use of crop field information;
(3)related government subsidies;
(4) sales commission rates;
(5) claims adjustment services;
(6) information collection;
(7) compliance efforts; and
(8) premium pools.
Requires the Commission to submit:
(1) an interim report to the appropriate congressional committees by April 1, 1989;
(2) a final report to such committees by July 1, 1989; and
(3) monthly reports to such committees from the period beginning July 1, 1989, through December 31, 1990.
Terminates the Commission as of December 31, 1990, except that the Secretary of Agriculture may extend the Commission's life beyond such date.
Directs the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation to make specified FY 1989 funds available to the Commission.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.