GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to design, construct, operate, and maintain the following facilities of the Yakima River Basin Water Enhancement Project:
(1) modification of existing radial gates at Cle Elum Dam;
(2) a reregulating reservoir to increase water-use efficiency of the Roza Division;
(3) facilities to automate and otherwise improve canal operations of the Sunnyside Division;
(4) facilities to automate the headgate, wasteways, and trashrack of the Chandler Power Canal to maintain operating controls for the Kennewick Irrigation District;
(5) facilities to automate and otherwise improve canal operations of the Wapato Indian Irrigation Project; and
(6) electric pumping facilities to replace existing hydraulic pumps at the Chandler Diversion and at facilities within the Sunnyside Division. Authorizes the Secretary to construct, operate, and maintain the Bumping Lake enlargement storage facility in accordance with the recommended plan for the Bumping Lake Enlargement Yakima Project, Washington, joint feasibility report.
Directs the Secretary to update and complete all project reports and report to Congress within three years of the date of enactment of this Act. Prohibits the Secretary from undertaking the construction of the Bumping Lake enlargement until:
(1) completion of a plan to mitigate and enhance resources that will be affected by the construction and operation of such facility; and
(2) completion and implementation of the Yakima water study (authorized by this Act). Directs the Secretary to undertake the Yakima River Basin Conservation and Water Use Efficiency Study to investigate the feasibility of reducing or otherwise altering the diversion of irrigation water supplies provided by the existing Yakima project and the Yakima Enhancement Project and delivered pursuant to contracts with the Secretary. Requires the Secretary within three years after enactment of this Act, to transmit the study along with recommendations for implementation of conservation and water use efficiency measures to the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, the House Committee on Interior and Insular Affairs, the Governor of Washington, and the Pacific Northwest Power Planning Council. Requires the Secretary to implement the study one year after its submission to the Congress. Provides for the fulfillment of Yakima Indian Nation water rights and the operation of the Yakima Basin projects upon completion of the facilities authorized by this Act. Provides for the Operation of the Naches and Naches Drop Hydroelectric Projects until such time as the construction of the Bumping Lake enlargement project is completed.
Authorizes appropriations and sets forth cost sharing provisions.
Provides for reimbursable and non-reimbursable costs.
Directs the Secretary to conduct feasibility studies of potential elements of the Yakima project.
Prohibits the Secretary from undertaking construction of facilities authorized under this Act until the Secretary finds that such construction is consistent with the laws of the State of Washington and meets the needs of the Yakima Indian Nation.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.