GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Twenty-First Century Teachers Act -
Loans Incentives for Teaching
Amends the Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA) to establish a separate fund for teachers under the National Direct Student Loan (NDSL) program. Authorizes appropriations for FY 1991 through 1995 for the Secretary of Education (the Secretary) to make separate capital contributions to NDSL student loan funds. Requires a student, in order to receive a loan from the special account, to: (1) have completed two undergraduate years; (2) intend to pursue a teaching career; and (3) agree to certain repayment conditions if the student either does not enter full-time teaching within a certain period or ceases such teaching before the end of the five-year service period required for loan cancellation. Gives priority for such loans to minority students, or those otherwise underrepresented in the teaching profession or curricula areas, and to individuals who qualify and need such a loan and who demonstrate high academic achievement and potential for success in teaching. Provides for an expedited loan cancellation option for teaching at certain types of schools.
Financial Assistance for Institutional Recruitment and Retention of Individuals Preparing to Enter the Teaching Force
Directs the Secretary to allocate funds under this title to State educational agencies (SEAs) for grants to institutions of higher education for programs to recruit and retain students, particularly minority students, preparing to enter the teaching profession. Authorizes appropriations.
Professional Development Academies
Directs the Secretary to allocate 80 percent of funds for this title among SEAs, on the basis of number of disadvantaged children, to distribute such funds to consortia of local educational agencies (LEAs) for various activities relating to teacher training. Directs the Secretary, from the remaining 20 percent of funds under this title, to award to specified consortia grants to establish professional development academies to provide interstate, international, or other exemplary programs. Limits such grants to five years, with renewal for one additional five-year period. Authorizes appropriations.
Teacher of the Year Recognition Act - Directs the Secretary to design and implement a program for teachers designated by the Council of Chief State School Officers as teacher of the year and the national teacher of the year. Directs the Secretary to designate and procure medals to honor such teachers of the year, which shall be presented by the President or a designee. Authorizes the Secretary to work with States, local governments, SEAs, LEAs, and others to encourage development of State and local recognition programs for teachers and other educators.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.