GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
7/30/1996. Appropriates funds for FY 1997 for military construction, family housing, and base realignment and closure functions administered by the Department of Defense (DOD) in specified amounts for:
(1) military construction for the Army, Navy, and Air Force (including rescissions);
(2) military construction, DOD (including a transfer of funds and rescissions);
(3) the Department of Defense Military Unaccompanied Housing Improvement Fund (including a transfer of funds);
(4)military construction for the Army and Air National Guards;
(5) military construction for the Army, Navy, and Air Force Reserves;
(6) the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Security Investment Program;
(7) family housing for the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force;
(8) family housing, DOD;
(9) the DOD Family Housing Improvement Fund (including a transfer of funds);
(10) the Homeowners Assistance Fund, Defense; and
(11) the Base Realignment and Closure Accounts, Parts II, III, and IV.
Specifies restrictions and authorizations regarding the use of funds appropriated under this or other Military Construction Appropriations Acts.
Directs the Secretary of Defense to notify specified congressional committees 30 days in advance of the plans and scope of any proposed military exercise involving U.S. personnel if construction costs for such exercise are expected to exceed $100,000.
Provides for the transfer of lapsed unobligated military construction and family housing funds into the Foreign Currency Fluctuations, Construction, Defense account.
Directs the Secretary to report to the congressional appropriations committees on actions proposed by DOD to encourage other member nations of NATO, Japan, Korea, and U.S. allies in the Arabian Gulf to assume a greater share of the common defense burden of such nations and the United States.
Sets forth Buy American requirements..
Directs the National Guard Bureau to prepare a future years defense plan based on National Guard requirements and priorities which shall be submitted to the Congress at the same time as the President's budget submission for each fiscal year.
Expresses the sense of the Congress that the Secretary of the Army should name specified buildings at the Redstone Arsenal, Alabama, as the Howell Heflin Complex.
Authorizes the transfer of DOD funds for expenses associated with the Homeowners Assistance Program under the Demonstration Cities and Metropolitan Development Act of 1966.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.