HR 826 RFS
H. R. 826
IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES
December 6, 1995
December 6, 1995
Received; read twice and referred to the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
To extend the deadline for the completion of certain land exchanges involving the Big Thicket National Preserve in Texas, and for other purposes.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. FINDINGS.
- The Congress finds that--
- (1) under the Big Thicket National Preserve Addition Act of 1993 (Public Law 103-46), Con-
- gress increased the size of the Big Thicket National Preserve through authorized land exchanges;
- (2) such land exchanges were not consummated by July 1, 1995, as required by Public Law 103-46; and
- (3) failure to consummate such land exchanges by the end of the three-year extension provided by this Act will necessitate further intervention and direction from Congress concerning such land exchanges.
SEC. 2. TIME PERIOD FOR LAND EXCHANGE.
- (a) EXTENSION- The last sentence of subsection (d) of the first section of the Act entitled ‘An Act to authorize the establishment of the Big Thicket National Preserve in the State of Texas, and for other purposes’, approved October 11, 1974 (16 U.S.C. 698(d)), is amended by striking out ‘two years after date of enactment’ and inserting ‘five years after the date of enactment’.
- (b) INDEPENDENT APPRAISAL- Subsection (d) of the first section of such Act (16 U.S.C. 698(d)) is further amended by adding at the end the following: ‘The Secretary, in considering the values of the private lands to be exchanged under this subsection, shall consider independent appraisals submitted by the owners of the private lands.’.
- (c) LIMITATION- Subsection (d) of the first section of such Act (16 U.S.C. 698(d)), as amended by subsection (b), is further amended by adding at the end the following: ‘The authority to exchange lands under this subsection shall expire on July 1, 1998.’.
SEC. 3. REPORTING REQUIREMENT.
- Not later than six months after the date of the enactment of this Act and every six months thereafter until the earlier of the consummation of the exchange or July 1, 1998, the Secretary of the Interior and the Secretary of Agriculture shall each submit a report to the Committee on Resources of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources of the Senate concerning the progress in consummating the land exchange authorized by the amendments made by Big Thicket National Preserve Addition Act of 1993 (Public Law 103-46).
SEC. 4. LAND EXCHANGE IN LIBERTY COUNTY, TEXAS.
- If, within one year after the date of the enactment of this Act--
- (1) the owners of the private lands described in subsection (b)(1) offer to transfer all their right, title, and interest in and to such lands to the Secretary of the Interior, and
- (2) Liberty County, Texas, agrees to accept the transfer of the Federal lands described in subsection (b)(2),
- the Secretary shall accept such offer of private lands and, in exchange and without additional consideration, transfer to Liberty County, Texas, all right, title, and interest of the United States in and to the Federal lands described in subsection (b)(2).
- (b) Lands Described-
- (1) PRIVATE LANDS- The private lands described in this paragraph are approximately 3.76 acres of lands located in Liberty County, Texas, as generally depicted on the map entitled ‘Big Thicket Lake Estates Access--Proposed’.
- (2) FEDERAL LANDS- The Federal lands described in this paragraph are approximately 2.38 acres of lands located in Menard Creek Corridor Unit of the Big Thicket National Preserve, as generally depicted on the map referred to in paragraph (1).
- (c) ADMINISTRATION OF LANDS ACQUIRED BY THE UNITED STATES- The lands acquired by the Secretary under this section shall be added to and administered as part of the Menard Creek Corridor Unit of the Big Thicket National Preserve.
Passed the House of Representatives December 5, 1995.
ROBIN H. CARLE,
By Linda Nave,