GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
12/3/2004--Public Law. (This measure has not been amended since it was passed by the Senate on September 15, 2004.
The summary of that version is repeated here.) Amends the Reclamation Safety of Dams Act of 1978 to increase funding levels for projects to preserve the structural safety of Bureau of Reclamation dams and related facilities.
Increases the ceiling (from $750,000 to $1.25 million) on the amount that may be obligated for dam modifications prior to 30 calendar days from the date that the Secretary of the Interior has reported on the safety of the existing dam to Congress. Directs the Secretary:
(1) during the construction of a modification of a structure under such Act, to consider cost containment measures recommended by a project beneficiary that has elected to consult with the Bureau;
(2) to provide to project beneficiaries periodic notice regarding the costs and status of the modification;
(3) upon identifying a Bureau facility for modification, to provide to the project beneficiaries written notice describing the need for and the process for identifying and implementing the modification and summarizing administrative and legal requirements;
(4) to provide project beneficiaries an opportunity to consult with the Bureau on the planning, design, and construction of the proposed modification and to develop and provide time frames for such consultation;
(5) prior to submitting required reports, to consider any alternative submitted by a project beneficiary that has elected to consult with the Bureau; and
(6) to provide to the project beneficiary a timely written response of proposed actions to address the recommendation.
(Requires that the Secretary's response be included in the required reports.) Authorizes the Secretary to waive one or more of the requirements of this Act upon determining that implementation of the requirement could have an adverse impact on dam safety or security.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.