GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Requires the Secretary of the Interior, if necessary to protect the interests of the Government or eligible entity and it would promote the interest of just administration in the Bureau of Indian affairs, to provide grants of up to $500,000 to eligible Indian groups or local governments to assist them in participating in the decision-making process relating to a pending action.
Defines pending action as one in which:
(1) an Indian group seeks Federal acknowledgment;
(2) an Indian tribe seeks restoration to federally acknowledged status that has been terminated;
(3) a federally acknowledged Indian tribe asserts trust status with respect to land within an area over which a local government exercises jurisdiction;
(4) a federally acknowledged Indian tribe files a petition with the Secretary requesting that land within an area over which a local government exercises jurisdiction be taken into trust for the tribe's benefit;
(5) an Indian group or federally acknowledged Indian tribe asserts a claim to land based on a treaty or a law specifically applicable to transfers of land or natural resources from, by, or on behalf of any Indian, Indian tribe, Indian group, or band of Indians; or
(6) any other action or proposed action relating to an Indian group or federally acknowledged tribe determined likely to affect significantly the citizens represented by a local government.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.