GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
9/15/2004--Passed Senate amended.
Federal Land Recreational Visitor Protection Act of 2004 - Directs the Secretary of Agriculture to establish an avalanche protection program to:
(1) provide early identification of the potential for avalanches that could endanger the safety of recreational users of public land and visitors to units of the National Park System (NPS); and
(2) reduce the risks and mitigate the effects of avalanches on visitors, recreational users, neighboring communities, and transportation corridors.
Requires the Secretary and the Secretary of the Interior to:
(1) use the resources of the National Avalanche Center of the Forest Service to carry out this Act; and
(2) establish an advisory committee to assist in the development and implementation of the program.
Directs such Secretaries and the Secretary of the Army to establish a central depository for weapons, ammunition, and parts for avalanche control purposes, including an inventory that can be made available to Federal and non-Federal entities.
Authorizes the Secretaries of Interior and Agriculture to make grants to carry out projects and activities under the program to:
(1) assist in the prevention, forecasting, detection, and mitigation of avalanches;
(2) maintain essential transportation and communications;
(3) assist avalanche artillery users to ensure the availability of adequate supplies of artillery and other explosives required for avalanche control in or affecting NPS units, other Federal land used for recreation, and adjacent communities, and essential transportation corridors; and
(4) assist research and development activities for alternatives to minimize reliance on military weapons for avalanche control.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.