Department of Commerce and Related Agencies
Department of Commerce and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2006 - Makes appropriations for FY2006 for:
(1) the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative;
(2) the International Trade Commission;
(3) the International Trade Administration (ITA);
(4) the Bureau of Industry and Security;
(5) the Economic Development Administration;
(6) the Minority Business Development Agency;
(7) economic and statistical analysis programs;
(8) the Bureau of the Census;
(9) the National Telecommunications and Information Administration;
(10) public telecommunications facilities planning and construction grants;
(11) the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office;
(12) the Under Secretary for Technology/Office of Technology Policy;
(13) the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), including amounts for the Hollings Manufacturing Extension Partnership of NIST, the Advanced Technology Program of NIST, and construction of new research facilities;
(14) the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), including transfers of funds and an amount for procurement, acquisition, and construction of capital assets;
(15) restoration of Pacific salmon populations;
(16) the Coastal Zone Management Fund;
(17) the fisheries finance program account;
(18) departmental management;
(19) the U.S. Travel and Tourism Promotion Program; and
(20) the Department of Commerce Office of Inspector General. Declares that, with regard to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative and the ITA, negotiations shall be conducted within the World Trade Organization (WTO) to recognize the right of members to distribute monies collected from antidumping and countervailing duties.
Instructs that the negotiations be conducted within the WTO consistent with the negotiating objectives contained in the Trade Act of 2002.
Exempts the ITA from the requirements of Circular A-25 (or any successor administrative regulation or policy) issued by the Office of Management and Budget. Specifies certain uses and limits on, or prohibitions against, the use of funds appropriated by this Act.
Prohibits more than 5% of any appropriation made available for the current fiscal year for the Department of Commerce in this Act from being transferred between such appropriations, but no such appropriation, except as otherwise specifically provided, shall be increased by more than 10% by any such transfers.
Provides that, for NOAA, this section shall provide for transfers among appropriations made only to NOAA. Prohibits such appropriations from being transferred and reprogrammed to other Department of Commerce bureaus and appropriation accounts.
States that, funds made available for salaries and expenses to administer the Emergency Steel Loan Guarantee Program under Public Law 108-199 (Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2004) shall remain available until expended. Amends the Emergency Steel Loan Guarantee Act of 1999 to extend the Emergency Loan Guarantee Board's authority from December 31, 2005, until December 31, 2007.
Prohibits the use of any funds under this Act to register, issue, transfer, or enforce any trademark of the phrase "Last Best Place."
Provides, from the amounts made available elsewhere in this title to the "National Institute of Standards and Technology, Construction of Research Facilities", specified amounts for:
(1) a cooperative agreement with the Medical University of South Carolina;
(2) the National Formulation Science Laboratory at the University of Southern Mississippi;
(3) the University of Mississippi Research Park;
(4) the Alabama State University Science and Education Building;
(5) Tuscaloosa, Alabama, revitalization;
(6) the Biomedical Research Center at the University of Alabama at Birmingham;
(7) the Institute for Security Technology Studies;
(8) Thayer School of Engineering;
(9) WVHTCF Research Facility; and
(10) the University of Alabama for the design and construction of the Science and Engineering Center.
Provides, from the amount made available from the fund entitled "Promote and Develop Fishery Products and Research Pertaining to American Fisheries", specified amounts to be provided to: (1) the Alaska Fisheries Marketing Board; and (2) the Southern Shrimp Alliance for its "Wild American Shrimp Marketing Program."
Transfers, from amounts made available under the heading "Procurement, Acquisition, and Construction, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration," a specified amount to NASA for the planning, design, and construction of Building 3203, for the planning and design of Buildings 3205 and 3216, and for certain infrastructure improvements.