GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Amends the Federal Water Pollution Control Act (commonly known as the Clean Water Act) to include among eligible grant activities the development and implementation of programs for source tracking, sanitary surveys, and prevention efforts to address the identified sources of beach water pollution. Authorizes appropriations for such grants for FY2008-FY2013.
Amends the Beaches Environmental Assessment and Coastal Health Act of 2000 to authorize appropriations to carry out such Act through FY2013.
Requires grant recipients to identify:
(1) the use of a rapid testing method;
(2) measures for communication within 24 hours of the results of a water sample concerning pollutants to specified officials and all state agencies with authority to require the prevention or treatment of the sources of beach water pollution;
(3) measures to develop and implement a beach water pollution source identification and tracking program for the coastal recreation waters that are not meeting applicable water quality standards for pathogens;
(4) a publicly accessible and searchable global information system database with information updated within 24 hours of its availability, organized by beach and with defined standards, sampling plan, monitoring protocols, sampling results, and number and cause of beach closing and advisory days; and
(5) measures to ensure that closures or advisories are made or issued within 24 hours after a state government determines that its coastal recreation waters are not meeting applicable water quality standards for pathogens.
Requires the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator to: (1) publish a revised list of rapid testing methods; and (2) validate such methods no later than two years after this Act's enactment and periodically thereafter.
Sets forth provisions requiring: (1) a review by the Administrator of state and local compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and grant conditions, including compliance with public health and safety performance criteria and state and local program content requirements; (2) corrective actions by such governments not in compliance; and (3) a review by the Comptroller General of such compliance review and corrective action.
Directs the Administrator to study and report to Congress on the formula for the distribution of grants for coastal recreation water quality monitoring under the Clean Water Act for the purpose of identifying potential revisions of that formula. Requires the Administrator to consider the emphasis and valuation placed on the length of beach season and to revise the distribution formula in accordance with the study's recommendations.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.