GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
9/16/2008--Reported to Senate amended.
Dominguez-Escalante National Conservation Area and Dominguez Canyon Wilderness Area Act - Establishes the Dominguez-Escalante National Conservation Area in Colorado to conserve and protect the unique and nationally important values of certain public land and the water resources of area streams that are necessary to support aquatic, riparian, and terrestrial species and communities.
Requires management of the Conservation Area as a component of the National Landscape Conservation System. Specifies the uses of the Conservation Area, including allowing the use of motorized vehicles in the Area. Designates certain lands in Mesa, Montrose, and Delta Counties in Colorado as wilderness and as a component of the National Wilderness Preservation System, to be known as the Dominguez Canyon Wilderness Area. Sets forth provisions for the management of the Conservation Area and the Wilderness, including with regard to:
(1) grazing leases and permits and the grazing of livestock;
(2) the control of fire, insects, diseases, and nonnative invasive plants and noxious weeds; and
(3) water rights.
Withdraws all federal land within the Conservation Area and the Wilderness and all land and interests in land acquired by the United States within such area and wilderness from:
(1) all forms of entry, appropriation, or disposal under the public land laws;
(2) location, entry, and patent under the mining laws; and
(3) operation of the mineral leasing, mineral materials, and geothermal leasing laws.
Authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to acquire non-federal land within the boundaries of the Conservation Area or the Wilderness only through exchange, donation, or purchase from a willing seller.
Provides for the continuation of adequate access by private landowners to inholdings in the Conservation Area. Directs the Secretary of the Interior to:
(1) develop a comprehensive management plan for the long-term protection and management of the Conservation Area; and
(2) establish the Dominguez-Escalante National Conservation Area Advisory Council to advise the Secretary on the preparation and implementation of the management plan.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.