H.R. 5741 (111th): Universal National Service Act
- Jul 15, 2010 (111th Congress, 2009–2010)
- Rep. Charles Rangel [D-NY15]
- Died (Referred to Committee)
- See Instead:
- This bill was re-introduced as H.R. 748 on Feb 15, 2013. See H.R. 748 for current action on this subject.
For context, Congressman Rangel has introduced this bill many times in the past. Each time, it has received very little support, and Rangel knows it has no chance of being ... (read more)
The bill’s title was written by the bill’s sponsor. H.R. stands for House of Representatives bill.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.
The bill contains the following citations to other parts of U.S. law:
United States Code
The United States Code is the compilation of permanent laws enacted by Congress. Temporary and other non-permanent laws do not appear in the United States Code. (About half of the United States Code is the law itself, called positive law. The other half is merely a compilation of the laws but has no legal significance.)
- Title 10: ARMED FORCES
- Subtitle A: General Military Law
- Part I: ORGANIZATION AND GENERAL MILITARY POWERS
- Chapter 1: DEFINITIONS
- Section 101: Definitions
- Part II: PERSONNEL
- Chapter 31: ENLISTMENTS
- Section 505: Regular components: qualifications, term, grade
- Title 50a: WAR AND NATIONAL DEFENSE (APPENDIX)
- Heading: MILITARY SELECTIVE SERVICE ACT
- Heading: ACT JUNE 24, 1948, CH. 625, 62 STAT. 604
- Section 451: Short title; Congressional declaration of policy
- Section 454: Persons liable for training and service
- Section 466: Definitions
- Section 467: Repeals; appropriations; termination date
- Other Citations
- 50 U.S.C. 453(a)