GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Craig Thomas Rural Hospital and Provider Equity Act of 2009 - Amends title XVIII (Medicare) of the Social Security Act with respect to:
(1) the Medicare disproportionate share hospital (DSH) adjustment for rural hospitals;
(2) revision of the temporary increase in payments to certain rural hospitals (Medicare hold harmless provision);
(3) the definition of low-volume hospital for purposes of the Medicare inpatient hospital payment adjustment (MIHPA);
(4) Medicare wage index reclassifications for certain hospitals;
(5) Medicare reasonable costs payments for certain clinical diagnostic laboratory tests furnished to hospitals in certain rural areas;
(6) critical access hospitals;
(7) the capital infrastructure revolving loan program;
(8) the Medicare incentive payment program for physician scarcity areas;
(9) the 1.00 floor on Medicare work geographic adjustment to payments for physician services;
(10) permission for physician assistants to order post-hospital extended care services or hospice care;
(11) Medicare home health care planning;
(12) rural health clinics;
(13) community health center collaborative access;
(14) the temporary Medicare payment increase for home health services furnished in a rural area;
(15) increased Medicare payments for rural ground ambulance services; and
(16) coverage of marriage and family therapist services and mental health counselor services under Medicare part B (Supplementary Medical Insurance). Amends the Medicare, Medicaid, and SCHIP Benefits Improvement and Protection Act of 2000 to provide for the extension of treatment of certain physician pathology services under Medicare. Directs the Secretary of Health and Human Services to:
(1) conduct pilot projects to provide incentives to home health agencies to utilize remote home monitoring and communications technologies; and
(2) facilitate the provision of telehealth services across state lines.
Amends title XVIII (Medicare) of the Social Security Act to extend Medicare part A (Hospital Insurance) coverage and payment, on a reasonable cost basis, to anesthesia services furnished by a physician anesthesiologist in certain rural hospitals in the same manner as payment is made for anesthesia services furnished by a certified registered nurse anesthetists in such hospitals.
Establishes the floor at 1.00 on:
(1) the practice expense geographic index for services furnished during a specified period in certain rural areas under the Medicare physician fee schedule; and
(2) the Medicare hospital area wage index for certain hospitals for discharges during the same period.
Revises the standard for designation of sole community hospitals.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.