GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Empowerment Zone, Renewal Community and Enterprise Community Enhancement Act of 2009 - Amends Internal Revenue Code provisions relating to tax-preferred empowerment zones, rural enterprise communities, and renewal communities to:
(1) extend the period of designation for such areas through 2015;
(2) provide a safe harbor standard for employee residency requirements in empowerment zones;
(3) eliminate certain residency requirements for the empowerment zone employment tax credit;
(4) grant authority to expand the boundaries of empowerment zones and enterprise communities, including those located in rural areas;
(5) allow carryovers of unused expensing allowances for enterprise zone businesses;
(6) allow certain empowerment zone businesses to elect to receive payments in lieu of tax benefits;
(7) allow federal guarantees and tax exemptions for enterprise zones and renewal communities; and
(8) allow the issuance of tax-exempt rural enterprise community bonds and empowerment zone facility bonds.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.