GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
National Hurricane Research Initiative Act of 2009 - Requires the Under Secretary for Oceans and Atmosphere, in collaboration with the Director of the National Science Foundation (NSF), to establish a National Hurricane Research Initiative to:
(1) improve understanding and prediction of hurricanes and other tropical storms;
(2) develop infrastructure that is resilient to the forces associated with such storms;
(3) mitigate the impacts of hurricanes on coastal populations, the coastal built environment, and natural resources; and
(4) provide training for the next generation of hurricane researchers and forecasters.
Directs the Under Secretary to:
(1) develop a five-year implementation plan for the Initiative, ensure that such plan is reviewed by specified agencies within 18 months after enactment of this Act, and revise such plan every five years to address findings of the National Hurricane Research Task Force;
(2) establish objectives for hurricane research;
(3) carry out a series of national workshops and conferences to address hurricane-related research questions;
(4) facilitate the establishment of a public Internet website for the Initiative; and
(5) submit to Congress a coordinated annual report for the Initiative. Requires the Under Secretary to:
(1) establish a National Hurricane Research Task Force to facilitate and coordinate the efforts of federal agencies and eligible entities in support of the Initiative;
(2) carry out a hurricane research program; and
(3) seek to enter into an agreement with the National Research Council of the National Academies to carry out an independent review of the Initiative. Requires the NSF Director to establish a program to award grants for hurricane research.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.