GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Secure America Through Verification and Enforcement Act of 2009 or SAVE Act of 2009 - Sets forth border security and enforcement provisions, including provisions respecting:
(1) increases in Border Patrol and investigative personnel;
(2) recruitment of former military personnel;
(3) use of Department of Defense (DOD) equipment;
(4) infrastructure improvements;
(5) aerial and other surveillance;
(5) a national strategy to secure the borders;
(6) accountable financing under the Secure Border Initiative;
(7) emergency deployment of Border Patrol agents; and
(8) expansion of the Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism along the northern and southern borders.
Requires that Department of Homeland Security (DHS) personnel check against terrorist watchlists alien smugglers and smuggled individuals who are interdicted at U.S. borders.
Amends the Immigration and Nationality Act and specified maritime law sections to revise alien smuggling provisions.
Sets forth provisions respecting border security on certain federal lands under the jurisdiction of the Secretary of Agriculture or the Secretary of the Interior. Amends the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 to make the basic employment eligibility confirmation pilot program permanent.
Sets forth conditions for the mandatory use of the E-verify system.
(1) employer/employee notification of social security number mismatches and multiple uses, and related information sharing with DHS; and
(2) establishment of electronic birth and death registration systems.
Amends the Internal Revenue Code to:
(1) penalize specified employers for failure to correct information returns; and
(2) prohibit employers from deducting from gross income wages paid to unauthorized aliens, with an exception for an employer participating in the basic employment eligibility confirmation program.
Increases criminal alien program (CAP) personnel.
Authorizes border relief grants for local law enforcement agencies within 25 miles of the southern U.S. border.
Establishes within DHS a rewards program to assist in the elimination of commercial operations to produce or sell fraudulent immigration-related documents and to assist in the investigation, prosecution, or disruption of commercial alien smuggling operations.
(1) increased alien detention facilities;
(2) additional immigration court judgeships; and
(3) a media campaign to inform the public of changes made by this Act including a multilingual media campaign explaining noncompliance penalties.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.