GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Social Investment and Economic Development for the Americas Act of 2010 - Amends the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961 to direct the President, acting through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and working with governments and civil society in the Americas (all the countries of North America, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean), to provide assistance to reduce poverty, expand the middle class, and foster increased economic opportunity by promoting education, improving health and disease prevention, increasing access to income generating activities, reducing crime, generating rural development, reducing poverty and inequality, eliminating the exclusion of marginalized populations, and strengthening the rule of law, governance, and democracy through the establishment of independent judiciaries, efficient processes to adjudicate claims, and effective law enforcement institutions.
Authorizes appropriations for debt and equity financing for a Microfinance Growth Fund for the Americas. Directs the Secretary of State to:
(1) establish an advisory group on the feasibility of establishing a new public-private Fund for Social and Economic Development in the Americas;
(2) conduct a joint study to determine the best strategy for increasing the use of renewable energy sources in the Americas; and
(3) work with interested governments in Central America, South America, the Caribbean, and Mexico (the Region) to study mechanisms to facilitate regional and hemispheric carbon trading.
Authorizes appropriations to USAID:
(1) for labor and environmental capacity building activities relating to the implementation of trade promotion agreements;
(2) for programs in the Americas to reduce global warming;
(3) to support activities in the Region involving adaptation to, and reduction in the negative impact of, environmental changes brought about by global warming and activities promoting sustainable forest management and reduction of deforestation.
Expresses support for the establishment of an Energy and Climate Partnership of the Americas.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.