GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Animal Crush Video Prohibition Act of 2010 - Amends the federal criminal code to revise the prohibition against depictions of animal cruelty to prohibit anyone from knowingly creating an animal crush video, or attempting or conspiring to do so, if:
(1) such person intends or has reason to know that such video will be distributed in, or using a means or facility of, interstate or foreign commerce; or
(2) such video is distributed in, or using a means or facility of, interstate or foreign commerce.
Prohibits the sale, marketing, exchange, or distribution of such videos in interstate or foreign commerce, or any attempt or conspiracy to do so.
Defines "animal crush video" as any photograph, motion picture, film, video or digital recording, or electronic image that:
(1) depicts actual conduct in which one or more living non-human mammals, birds, reptiles, or amphibians intentionally crushed, burned, drowned, suffocated, impaled, or otherwise subjected to serious bodily injury; and
(2) is obscene.
Extends the applicability of this Act to a person selling, marketing, advertising, exchanging, distributing, or creating animal crush videos outside the United States if:
(1) such person intends or has reason to know that the animal crush video will be transported into the United States or its territories or possessions; or
(2) the video is so transported.
Imposes a fine and/or prison term of up to seven years for violations of this Act. Exempts from the application of this Act:
(1) any visual depiction of customary and normal veterinary or agricultural husbandry practices, the slaughter of animals for food, or hunting, trapping, or fishing; and
(2) good faith distribution of an animal crush video to a law enforcement agency or a third party for the sole purpose of determining if referral to a law enforcement agency is appropriate.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.