GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Onondaga Lake Restoration Act - Amends the Federal Water Pollution Control Act (commonly known as the Clean Water Act) to require the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to establish the Onondaga Lake Watershed Council to:
(1) develop and periodically revise an Adaptive Management Plan for the restoration, conservation, and management of Onondaga Lake;
(2) establish and implement a program for the public's participation in the Plan's development and revision; and
(3) establish the Onondaga Lake Scientific Center to advise the Council on development and implementation of the Plan. Requires the Plan to:
(1) identify measurable goals for the restoration, conservation, and management of Onondaga Lake and for compliance with all laws affecting the restoration and conservation of the Lake and the Amended Consent Judgment entered January 20, 1998, in the case of Atlantic States Legal Foundation v.
The Onondaga County Department of Drainage and Sanitation; and
(2) incorporate and update the recommendations of the Onondaga Lake Management Plan to recommend strategies for management of the biological makeup of the Lake, the physical development of the Lake and its surroundings, and the use of the Lake for recreational and other purposes.
Requires the Administrator, after providing an opportunity for public review and comment, to approve the Plan if the Administrator determines that it meets the requirements of this Act and the governor of New York concurs.
States that this Act shall not affect any other provision of federal or state law or responsibility assigned thereunder, including provisions of the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act of 1980 (CERCLA) or the New York State Environmental Conservation Law that require, and assign responsibility for, the performance of cleanup activities or other activities affecting the restoration or conservation of Onondaga Lake. Authorizes the Administrator to make funds available to members of the Council and the Center to carry out this Act. Authorizes the Administrator to make grants to specified governmental officials in New York and members of the Center:
(1) to implement Plan strategies;
(2) for research, surveys, administrative services, and studies; and
(3) to gather data.
Amends the Water Resources Development Act of 1999 to revoke provisions that require the Secretary of the Army to plan and construct projects that are consistent with the Onondaga Lake Management Plan and to provide financial assistance for the development and implementation of projects to restore, conserve, and manage the lake.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.