GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Gestational Diabetes Act of 2010 or the GEDI Act - Amends the Public Health Service Act to direct the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS), acting through the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), to develop a multisite gestational diabetes research project within the diabetes program of the CDC to expand and enhance surveillance data and public health research on gestational diabetes.
Requires such research project to address:
(1) procedures to establish accurate and efficient systems for the collection of gestational diabetes data;
(2) the progress of collaborative activities with the National Vital Statistics System, the National Center for Health Statistics, and state health departments to improve surveillance of gestational diabetes;
(3) postpartum methods of tracking women with gestational diabetes after delivery and targeted interventions to lower the incidence of type 2 diabetes in such women;
(4) variations in the distribution of diagnosed and undiagnosed gestational diabetes; and
(5) factors and culturally sensitive interventions that influence risks and reduce the incidence of gestational diabetes and related complications during childbirth.
Requires the Secretary to expand and intensify public health research on gestational diabetes, including;
(1) developing and testing novel approaches for improving postpartum testing or screening and for preventing type 2 diabetes in women with a history of gestational diabetes; and
(2) conducting research to further understanding of the factors and health systems that influence the risk of gestational diabetes and the development of type 2 diabetes in women with a history of gestational diabetes.
Requires the Secretary, acting through the Director of the CDC, to:
(1) award grants for demonstration projects that implement evidence-based interventions to reduce the incidence of gestational diabetes, the recurrence of such disease in subsequent pregnancies, and the development of type 2 diabetes in women with a history of gestational diabetes; and
(2) work with state and Indian tribal-based diabetes prevention and control programs assisted by the CDC to encourage postpartum follow-up after gestational diabetes to reduce the incidence of gestational diabetes and its recurrence, the development of type 2 diabetes in at-risk women, and related complications.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.