GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Sustainable States Act of 2010 - Establishes a program under which the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) shall provide grants to sustainable state consortia (partnerships consisting of local governments, states, public universities, and other municipal organizations, businesses, or nonprofit organizations) to establish and carry out municipal sustainability certification programs.
Defines "municipal sustainability certification program" as a program that:
(1) determines a set of state-specific benchmarks for use in evaluating sustainability; and
(2) certifies a municipality as sustainable based on achievement of those benchmarks.
Directs the Administrator to:
(1) establish flexible guidelines that reflect regional differences for use by such consortia in establishing such programs;
(2) annually compile data from such consortia and report to Congress on municipal actions undertaken to obtain municipal sustainability certification;
(3) encourage such consortia to establish certification standards beyond the guidelines established by the Administrator, adapt the administration of the program to meet regional or local needs, and plan for public-private partnership agreements that will sustain the operation of the certification program of a state beyond the term of the grant;
(4) establish a national leaders program under which certified municipalities may seek additional recognition for demonstrated performance in meeting sustainability challenges; and
(5) establish a website that permits interactive dialogue and collaboration among community leaders and citizens engaged in municipal sustainability certification.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.