GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
American Health Security Act of 2009 - Establishes the State-Based American Health Security Program to provide every U.S. resident who is a U.S. citizen, national, or lawful resident alien with health care services.
Requires each participating state to establish a state health security program.
Eliminates benefits under:
(1) titles XVIII (Medicare), XIX (Medicaid), and XXI (State Children's Health Insurance) (SCHIP) of the Social Security Act;
(2) the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program; and
(3) the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Uniformed Services (CHAMPUS). Requires each state health security program to prohibit the sale of health insurance in that state that duplicates benefits provided under the program.
Establishes the American Health Security Standards Board to:
(1) develop policies, procedures, guidelines and requirements to carry out this Act;
(2) establish uniform reporting requirements;
(3) provide for an American Health Security Advisory Council and an Advisory Committee on Health Professional Education; and
(4) establish a national health security budget specifying the total federal and state expenditures to be made for covered health care services.
Establishes the American Health Security Quality Council to:
(1) review and evaluate practice guidelines, standards of quality, performance measures, and medical review criteria; and
(2) develop minimum competence criteria.
Establishes the Office of Primary Care and Prevention Research within the Office of the Director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Amends the Internal Revenue Code to create the American Health Security Trust Fund and appropriates to the Fund specified tax liabilities and current health program receipts.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.