GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Bus Uniform Standards and Enhanced Safety Act of 2011 or the BUSES Act of 2011 - Directs the Secretary of Transportation to issue regulations to require:
(1) monitoring of the safety performance of motorcoach service providers and other commercial motor carriers of passengers; and
(2) progressive interventions to correct unsafe practices, and if they are not corrected, an enforcement action.
Authorizes the Secretary to organize special enforcement strike forces to target commercial motor vehicle operators when appropriate.
Directs the Secretary to:
(1) prescribe regulations to establish minimum training requirements for motorcoach drivers,
(2) review testing requirements for a commercial driver's license passenger endorsement,
(3) develop requirements for the testing of medical examiners who examine commercial motor vehicle operators for physical fitness and seek to be listed in the national registry,
(4) review annually the implementation of the commercial driver's license requirements of at least 10 states to assess the validity of physical examination reports and medical certificates submitted by certified medical examiners, and
(5) establish the national registry of medical examiners.
Sets forth additional Medical Review Board functions.
Requires the Secretary to review and report to Congress on federal commercial motor vehicle safety inspection standards.
Revises federal motor carrier registration requirements.
Directs the Secretary to prescribe federal motor vehicle safety standards for occupant protection systems for new and existing motorcoaches.
Amends the Internal Revenue Code to provide a qualified motorcoach safety credit to a taxpayer for the costs of new and existing motorcoaches to comply with the federal motor vehicle safety standards.
Requires the Secretary to provide grants (not to exceed $20,000 per vehicle) to motorcoach operators to assist with the cost of retrofitting motorcoaches in order to comply with such federal standards.
Amends the Small Business Act to grant the Administrator of the Small Business Administration (SBA) the authority to make SBA loans and loan guarantees to motorcoach operators to retrofit their buses and motorcoaches for occupant protection.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.