GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Next Generation Wireless Disclosure Act - Requires a person selling advanced wireless mobile broadband service (4G service or a successor technology) directly to a consumer to prominently, clearly, and accurately disclose service terms and conditions in marketing materials and upon sale.
Excludes from such requirements transactions in which the consumer receives a device allowing access to a specified quantity of prepaid advanced wireless mobile broadband service when the average consumer would not expect the selling agents to have expertise regarding the terms and conditions.
Directs a person:
(1) packaging such prepaid service for ultimate sale to consumers to accurately and clearly display the terms and conditions on all marketing materials and packaging; and
(2) selling wholesale service to another person for ultimate sale to consumers to disclose the information necessary to permit such other person to comply with this Act. Sets forth required disclosures including:
(1) the guaranteed minimum transmit and receive data rates for Internet protocol packets,
(2) reliability ratings,
(3) service-based pricing,
(4) network management policies,
(5) utilized technology services, and
(6) a website showing complete terms of service and coverage area maps.
Requires the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to:
(1) promulgate implementing regulations,
(2) set minimum signal strength and data rates for a location to be within the coverage area of such service, and
(3) enforce this Act as if it were a part of the Communications Act of 1934.
Directs the FCC to complete an annual study evaluating the speed and pricing of advanced wireless mobile broadband service offered in the United States by the 10 largest service providers.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.