GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Agricultural Trade Facilitation Act - States that the overall trade negotiating objective of the United States with respect to the application of sanitary and phytosanitary measures to agricultural products for trade agreements between the United States and foreign countries is to secure more open and reciprocal market access by strengthening the rules governing such measures' application to agricultural products.
States that the principal trade negotiating objectives of the United States with respect to the application of sanitary and phytosanitary measures to agricultural products are to:
(1) strengthen the requirement that the application of such measures is based on scientific evidence,
(2) encourage parties to an agreement to participate actively in the development of international standards relating to such measures' application,
(3) improve regulatory coherence and increase the use of systems-based approaches,
(4) require greater transparency in such measures' development and implementation,
(5) require parties to an agreement to carry out risk analysis in a timely manner consistent with international guidelines,
(6) improve rules governing the testing of imported products,
(7) promote harmonization of export certification requirements, and
(8) ensure that new sanitary and phytosanitary trade obligations are fully enforceable through an effective dispute settlement process.
Makes this Act inapplicable to negotiations for:
(1) The United States-Colombia Trade Promotion Agreement,
(2) The United States-Korea Free Trade Agreement,
(3) The United States-Panama Trade Promotion Agreement, and
(4) The Doha Development Round of the World Trade Organization.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.