GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
6/15/2012--Reported to House amended.
Federal Employee Phased Retirement Act - Allows a retirement-eligible federal employee under the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) or the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS), with the concurrence of the head of the employing agency, to make a one-time election to enter phased retirement status under which such employee shall be appointed to a position for which the working percentage (the number of hours worked by such employee per pay period divided by the number of hours worked by a full-time employee in a comparable position) is 50%.
Authorizes the Director of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) to provide for a different working percentage which shall not be less than 20% or more than 80%.
Denies eligibility for any employee after the date such employee is required to be separated from service under mandatory retirement provisions.
Imposes certain requirements for and limitations on the employment of such a phased retiree, including that such retiree:
(1) must have been employed on a full-time basis for not less than the three-year period ending on the date of an election under this Act;
(2) may not be employed in more than one position at any time, but may transfer to another position in the same or different agency; and
(3) must spend not less than 20% of working hours mentoring other employees.
Sets forth rules for the computation of:
(1) a phased retirement annuity, which shall be paid in addition to the basic pay for the position to which a phased retiree is appointed; and
(2) a composite annuity, which a phased retiree shall be entitled to receive upon electing to enter full retirement status.
Authorizes a phased retiree:
(1) with the concurrence of the head of the employing agency, to elect to terminate phased retirement status and return to a full-time work schedule; or
(2) elect to enter full retirement status at any time.
Allows a phased retiree under CSRS or FERS who has completed at least one year of service as such a retiree to contribute to a Thrift Savings Fund account any part of any payment received as accumulated and current accrued annual or vacation leave.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.