GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Energy Star Improvements Act of 2011 - Amends the Energy Policy and Conservation Act (EPCA) to revise the Energy Star program by requiring the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Secretary of Energy (DOE):
(1) to require inclusion of developmental products planned for sale within two years in the testing or evaluation of products proposed for purposes of establishing and revising an Energy Star product category, specification, or criterion;
(2) within two years, to establish and implement a ratings system for Energy Star products to provide consumers with the most helpful information on the relative energy efficiency of those products, unless the Administrator and the Secretary communicate to Congress that establishing such a system would diminish the value of the Energy Star brand;
(3) at least once every three years, to review the Energy Star product criteria for the 10 products in each product category with the greatest energy consumption;
(4) to update and publish the Energy Star product criteria for each such category based on such review;
(5) before permitting a product to be identified as an Energy Star product, to require the manufacturer to prove the compliance of the product with Energy Star criteria through testing at a certified independent laboratory; and
(6) to periodically verify, at the expense of the manufacturer of the product, compliance by products identified as Energy Star products with Energy Star criteria.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.