GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Cosmetic Safety Amendments Act of 2012 - Amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to require the registration of every domestic and foreign establishment engaged in the manufacture of a cosmetic intended to be marketed in the United States with the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS). Requires such manufacturers to submit to the Secretary:
(1) a cosmetic and ingredient statement for each manufactured cosmetic containing a unique registration number for the manufacturing establishment where the cosmetic is manufactured, the brand name for the cosmetic, the ingredients in the cosmetic, and contact information for individuals responsible for filing and maintaining the cosmetic and ingredient statement; and
(2) a report on any serious and unexpected adverse event allegedly associated with the use of a cosmetic product.
Requires the Secretary to:
(1) establish good manufacturing practices for the manufacture, processing, filling, or packaging of cosmetics; and
(2) establish and maintain in the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) an electronic National Cosmetic Regulatory Databank to hold information pertaining to the regulation of cosmetics.
Grants the Secretary authority to review the findings of the Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel with respect to any cosmetic products.
Authorizes the Secretary to:
(1) establish a tolerance level for a nonfunctional constituent in a cosmetic product,
(2) evaluate the safety of any ingredient in a cosmetic product, and
(3) obtain access to and copy records for determining whether a cosmetic product is adulterated and presents a threat of serious adverse health consequences or death to humans.
Denies entry into the United States of a cosmetic product if:
(1) the importer does not present the unique cosmetic establishment registration number and the unique cosmetic and ingredient statement number, or
(2) either of such numbers is not correct.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.