GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Increasing Educational Stability for Children in Foster Care Act - Amends the school improvement program under title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) to require the annual report cards issued by states to include information on the academic achievement and secondary school graduation rates of foster children.
Requires local educational agencies (LEAs) to reserve school improvement funds to serve children in foster care.
Establishes part J (Educational Stability of Children in Foster Care) under title I of the ESEA. Requires states to develop and implement a plan to ensure that children that move to a new school attendance area due to being placed in foster care, changing their foster care placement, or leaving foster care:
(1) enroll or remain in their school of origin and receive transportation to and from that school, unless it is determined to be in their best interest to attend a different school;
(2) are immediately enrolled in a school once it is determined to be in their best interest to attend the school, even if they are unable to produce the records normally required for enrollment; and
(3) have their school records maintained and available for immediate transfer to their new school.
Gives a child who leaves foster care the right to remain in his or her school of origin only for the remainder of the school year.
Requires states to ensure that foster children are able to:
(1) preserve the credits or partial credits they earned at schools they previously attended, and
(2) receive a secondary school diploma from one of the schools at which they were enrolled or through a state-issued secondary school diploma system.
Requires LEAs and state educational agencies to each designate an individual to oversee implementation of their part J obligations and serve as a point of contact for the child welfare agencies responsible for foster children.
Amends the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act to eliminate children and youths who are awaiting foster care placement from the definition of "homeless children and youths."
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.