GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Physician Reentry Demonstration Program Act - Directs the Secretary of Health and Human Services to:
(1) establish a demonstration program to assist the development of innovative programs that facilitate physician reentry into clinical practice to provide required primary health services; and
(2) award one grant, on a competitive basis, to an eligible entity in each of the 10 regions served by a Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) regional office.
Includes as eligible entities:
(1) a state, hospital, academic medical center, medical school, or health center; or
(2) a nonprofit organization with a demonstrated history or expertise in providing physician education and with the ability to offer programs specifically targeted at reentering physicians.
Requires the Secretary to use not more than 15% of funds appropriated for this Act to work with key stakeholders to:
(1) conduct a national needs assessment with regard to the supply of physicians who provide primary health services,
(2) develop a database that contains a directory of programs that help physicians reenter clinical practice,
(3) disseminate evidence-based assessments and evaluation tools to measure the basic core competencies of physicians reentering clinical practice, and
(4) assist state regulatory authorities and hospital credentialing committees to structure requirements for reentering physicians r that ensure patient safety while addressing the burdens on such physicians.
Directs an entity that receives funds under this Act to use such funds to assist qualifying physicians through:
(1) training to reenter clinical practice,
(2) paying credentialing and other necessary fees,
(3) paying salaries, or
(4) providing loan repayment and other financial assistance.
Requires a reentering physician who participates in a demonstration program, to be eligible to receive benefits, to provide required primary health services for at least two years at a health center, a Veterans Administration Medical Center if the Secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA) certifies that there is a shortage of physicians at such center, or a school-based health center.
Sets forth provisions regarding liability protection for reentering physicians participating in a demonstration program.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.