GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Air and Health Quality Empowerment Zone Designation Act of 2012 - Allows the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to designate an area as an air and health quality empowerment zone if the air pollution control district or other local governmental entity (area entity) authorized to regulate air quality for the area nominates the area for such designation, including by submitting a strategic plan designed to address air quality challenges, achieve attainment of air quality standards, and improve the health of the population in the area.
Requires a designated area to meet the following criteria:
(1) it has been designated as being in extreme nonattainment of the national ambient air quality standard for ozone and in nonattainment of the national ambient air quality standard for PM2.5 (particulate matter diameter);
(2) it had nitrogen oxide emissions from farm equipment and emissions of volatile organic compounds from farming in excess of specified limits;
(3) it meets or exceeds the national average per capita incidence of asthma;
(4) it experiences unemployment rates higher than the national average; and
(5) the area entity will provide matching contributions of federal funds toward the activities to be carried out under the strategic plan, which may be in cash or in-kind, fairly evaluated, including plant, equipment, or services.
Makes the effective period of area designation the shorter of 10 years or the period ending with revocation by the Administrator. Authorizes grants to an area entity on behalf of each air and health quality empowerment zone for the purpose of carrying out the strategic plan submitted under this Act. Requires a report to Congress on the impact of this Act.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.