GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Recognizes, in light of the upheaval brought by the Arab Spring, that religious freedom is critical to democratization, so that:
(1) all people can freely associate, speak, and peacefully participate equally in the political process; and
(2) religious minorities are protected during the time of transition in the region.
Calls upon the Arab League and the Organization of Islamic Cooperation to press all member nations to protect the rights of religious minorities within their borders and to treat such minorities as equal citizens.
Calls for the prosecution of any crimes against such minorities.
Urges the U.S. government to lead an international effort to support legal and political reforms for the equal protection of religious freedom as a foundation for a stable, peaceful, and lasting democracy in the region by:
(1) making legal protection for the freedom of religion and for all who peacefully practice their faith a top priority in all meetings with senior foreign officials;
(2) supporting and directing U.S. officials with international programs in the Middle East to work with officials, civil society actors, and ethno-religious communities to educate all sectors of society that religious freedom provides a foundation for democratic freedoms;
(3) supporting Internet freedom throughout the region to provide access to information and the free exchange of ideas; and
(4) encouraging the protection of places of worship and historic religious and cultural sites against terrorist attacks.
Encourages the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces and the newly elected Egyptian President to ensure that the constituent assembly will draft a new constitution representing all parts of Egyptian society, including religious minorities.
Calls on the Egyptian government and the local and federal governments of Iraq to prosecute acts of violence against Christians and to make the protection of religious minorities a priority.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.