GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Parental Notification and Intervention Act of 2011 - Prohibits any person or organization from performing, permitting facilities to be used to perform, or assisting in the performance of an abortion on an unemancipated minor unless:
(1) written notification is provided to each parent of the minor informing them that an abortion has been requested, unless there is clear and convincing evidence of physical abuse of the minor by a parent;
(2) there is compliance with a 96-hour waiting period after any required notice has been received by each parent; and
(3) there is, if a judicial intervention process is initiated by a notified parent, a final judgement that enjoining the abortion would be unlawful.
Prescribes penalties of not more than a $1 million fine and/or imprisonment for not more than 10 years for violating such prohibition.
Exempts a physician without principal responsibility for making the decision to perform the abortion if the physician determines that:
(1) a medical emergency exists due to a grave, physical disorder or disease that would cause the minor's death if an abortion is not performed;
(2) parental notification is not possible as a result of the emergency; and
(3) certifications regarding compliance with such rules and the reasons upon which such determinations are based have been entered in the minor's medical records.
Requires parental notification through certified mail or personal delivery.
Authorizes a notified parent to bring an action in federal court which shall enjoin the abortion:
(1) until the court's judgment is final, or
(2) permanently unless the court determines that granting such relief would be unlawful.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.