Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Fulfilling U.S. Energy Leadership Act of 2011 - Sets forth energy production programs for:
(1)advanced and plug-in vehicle deployment,
(2) research and development (R&D) for advanced batteries and raw materials,
(3) tax credits for advanced and fuel-efficient motor vehicles,
(4) oil and gas development on the outer Continental Shelf (OCS),
(5) alternative fuel deployment,
(6) clean sources of electricity,
(7) financing clean energy initiatives, and
(8) rural energy savings.
Directs the Secretary of Energy (Secretary) to conduct an R&D and commercial application program for alternative fuel transportation technology.
Amends the Energy Policy Act of 1992 to direct the Secretary promulgate regulations governing reduced petroleum consumption by the federal fleet Establishes within the Department of Energy (DOE) a national plug-in electric drive vehicle deployment program.
Directs the Secretary to implement a national assessment and develop a national plan for plug-in electric drive vehicle deployment.
Establishes a communities program for targeted plug-in electric drive vehicle deployment.
Directs the Secretary to establish:
(1) an R&D funding program for technologies supporting the development, manufacture, and deployment of plug-in electric drive vehicles and related charging infrastructure;
(2) a clean energy standard that promotes the use of renewable and other low-carbon sources of electricity; and
(3) the Next Step Energy Storage Research Center. Directs the Secretary of the Interior to study the supply of raw materials.
Amends the Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act to require electric utilities to develop a plan to support the use of plug-in electric drive vehicles, including medium- and heavy-duty hybrid electric vehicles.
Amends the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 to require the Secretary to guarantee loans for specified automotive battery purchases that use advanced battery technology.
Authorizes loan guarantees also for renewable fuel pipelines.
Establishes the Plug-in Electric Drive Vehicle Technical Advisory Committee. Directs the President to establish the Plug-in Electric Drive Vehicle Interagency Task Force. Amends the Internal Revenue Code to:
(1) modify criteria for consumer tax credits for advanced vehicles;
(2) allow a tax credit for certain new fuel-efficient motor vehicles;
(3) allow an idling reduction tax credit;
(4) revise excise tax credits based on the price of crude oil;
(4) modify the alternative fuel vehicle refueling property credit;
(5) extend the tax credits for biodiesel and renewable diesel;
(6) prescribe a special rule for systems installed on coal-fired electric generation units;
(7) allow a tax credit for carbon sequestration from coal facilities;
(8) modify the tax credit for carbon dioxide sequestration;
(9) create a clean energy coal bond;
(10) allow seven-year accelerated depreciation for new nuclear power facilities;
(11) allow a tax credit for advanced energy manufacturing;
(12) modify and extend the tax credit for steel industry fuel; and
(13) extend the tax credit for producing fuel from coke or coke gas.
Amends the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act (OCSLA) to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to offer for leasing any moratorium area in the Gulf of Mexico more than 50 miles off the coastline.
Prohibits the export of oil and natural gas produced on the OCS. Establishes the Alternative Fuel Trust Fund. Amends the Energy Policy Act of 2005 to:
(1) instruct the Secretary of Energy to conduct a seismic inventory of oil and natural gas, and prepare a summary of marine resources on the OCS in the Atlantic Region, the Eastern Gulf of Mexico, and the Alaska Region;
(2) authorize appropriations for bioenergy research and development,
(3) set forth a large-scale carbon storage program,
(4) authorize appropriations for nuclear energy workforce training, and
(5) require a small modular reactor initiative.
Amends the OCSLA to establish the Offshore Safety Bureau. Increases loan guarantees for nuclear power and other innovative sources.
Establishes an interagency working group to promote a domestic manufacturing base for nuclear components and equipment.
(1) the Clean Energy Investment Fund, and
(2) the Clean Energy Deployment Administration. Amends the Farm Security and Rural Investment Act of 2002 to instruct the Secretary of Agriculture to make loans to eligible entities that agree to use such funds to make loans to qualified consumers for the purpose of implementing energy efficiency measures.
Extends the tax deduction for energy-efficient commercial buildings and the tax credits for energy-efficient homes (new and existing) and energy-efficient appliances.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.