Makes certain military financing funds available for assistance to Rwanda or Uganda unless the Secretary has credible information that Rwanda or Uganda is providing support to armed groups in the Democratic Republic of the Congo that are involved in the illegal exportation of minerals or have violated human rights.
Exempts from such restriction assistance to:
(1) prevent the illegal exportation of such minerals,
(2) protect humanitarian relief efforts,
(3) support the training of members of the Rwandan or Ugandan militaries in international peacekeeping operations.
Urges that specified funds should be made available for the trans-Sahara counterterrorism partnership program and the partnership for regional East Africa counterterrorism program.
Authorizes specified funds to be made available for unanticipated crises in Africa. Makes specified military education and training assistance for Angola, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea and Zimbabwe available only for training related to international peacekeeping operations and expanded military education and training.
Prohibits such assistance from being made to Somalia and Equitorial Guinea. Prohibits certain military financing assistance from being made to Ethiopia unless the Secretary certifies to Congress that Ethiopia is:
(1) implementing policies to respect due process and freedom of expression, and
(2) permitting access to human rights and humanitarian organizations to the Somalia region of Ethiopia. Exempts from such restriction:
(1) Ethiopian military efforts in support of international peacekeeping operations, and
(2) assistance to the Ethiopian Defense Command and Staff College. Directs the Secretary of the Treasury to instruct U.S. executive directors of international financial institutions to vote against any financial support for Gambia, except to meet basic human needs, unless the Secretary certifies to Congress that Gambia is taking steps to release and account for political prisoners.
States that specified military assistance for Kenya should not be made available unless an investigation of alleged crimes by Kenyan soldiers at Mount Elgon in March 2008 has been conducted.
Prohibits funds under this Act from being made available for Sudan unless Sudan:
(1) has lifted the state of emergency in Darfur, is participating in a peace process for Darfur, and is permitting access for humanitarian assistance in Darfur; and
(2) has reached an agreement with the Republic of South Sudan regarding the status of Abyei and other issues related to implementation of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA). Prohibits funds under this Act from being used to modify loans and loan guarantees held by Sudan. Exempts from such prohibition:
(1) humanitarian assistance,
(2) assistance for Darfur and other marginalized areas in Sudan, and
(3) assistance to implement the CPA or to promote peace between Sudan and South Sudan. Authorizes assistance under this Act for South Sudan. Makes specified funds available to:
(1) improve physical access and telecommunications infrastructure in areas affected by the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA); and
(2) support the disarmament and reintegration of former LRA combatants, especially child soldiers.
Reaffirms support for the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) and the Special Court for Sierra Leone (SCSL). Authorizes the use of certain funds under this Act for assistance to the central government of a country in which individuals indicted by ICTR and SCSL are alleged to be living if the Secretary reports to Congress that such government is cooperating with ICTR and SCSL. Directs the Secretary of the Treasury to instruct U.S. executive directors to international financial institutions to vote against any loan extensions to the government of Zimbabwe, except to meet basic human needs or to promote democracy, unless the Secretary reports to Congress that Zimbabwe has restored the rule of law.
Prohibits funds under this Act from being made to the government of Zimbabwe, except for health, education, and macroeconomic growth assistance, unless the Secretary makes a specified determination.