GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Livable Communities Act of 2011 - Establishes in the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) an Office of Sustainable Housing and Communities (OSHC). Requires the OSHC Director to establish a program to make comprehensive planning grants to eligible entities (partnerships between a consortium of units of general local government and an eligible partner or an Indian tribe that meets specified requirements).
Defines "eligible partner" as a metropolitan planning organization, a rural planning organization, or a regional council, or one of these and a state, an Indian tribe, a state and an Indian tribe, or an institution of higher education.
Requires the use of a comprehensive planning grant to carry out a project to:
(1) coordinate locally defined planning processes, across jurisdictions and agencies;
(2) identify regional partnerships for developing and implementing a comprehensive regional plan;
(3) conduct or update assessments to determine regional needs and promote economic and community development;
(4) develop or update a comprehensive regional plan or goals and strategies to implement an existing comprehensive regional plan and other related activities; and
(5) identify local zoning and other code changes necessary to implement a comprehensive regional plan and promote sustainable development.
Requires the use of a community challenge grant to:
(1) promote integrated planning and investments across policy and governmental jurisdictions, and
(2) implement projects identified in a comprehensive regional plan.
Authorizes the Secretary of HUD to make or guarantee (up to 75% of) loans to eligible governmental, corporate, or partnership borrowers for infrastructure development projects used to support transit-oriented development.
Requires the Director of the Office of Healthy Homes and Lead Hazard Control to lead the federal initiative to support healthy housing and eradicate housing-related health hazards.
Requires the Secretary to study how sustainable building features in housing, such as energy efficiency, affect:
(1) the quality of the indoor environment,
(2) the prevalence of housing-related health hazards, and
(3) the health of such occupants.
States that no housing assisted using a grant under this Act may be made available to an individual who is not lawfully present in the United States.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.