GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
5/9/2012--Passed Senate amended.
Directs the President to submit a report to Congress, within 15 days after enactment of this Act, describing all known Syrian opposition groups, both independent and state-sponsored and inside and outside of Syria, operating to oppose the government of Syria. Requires such report to include:
(1) assessments of their composition and military, financial, and political capacities; and
(2) an assessment of the relationship between each opposition group and the Muslim Brotherhood, al Qaeda, Hezbollah, Hamas, and other groups that have promoted an agenda that would negatively impact U.S. national interests.
Directs the President to submit to Congress, within 30 days after enactment of this Act, an assessment of the size and security of conventional and non-conventional weapons stockpiles in Syria which shall describe:
(1) who has or may have access to such stockpiles;
(2) the sources and types of weapons flowing from outside Syria to both government and opposition forces; and
(3) a plan to prevent the proliferation of conventional, biological, chemical, and other types of weapons in Syria. Directs the President to submit a report to Congress, within 30 days after enactment of this Act, describing all support provided to opposition political forces in Syria. Requires such report to include:
(1) a description of the current technical assistance democracy programs conducted by the Department of State and United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to support the political opposition in Syria (opposition);
(2) a summary of the communications equipment that is currently being provided to the opposition, including a description of the entities that have received and that will continue to receive such equipment;
(3) a description of any additional activities the United States plans to support the opposition; and
(4) a description of the funding levels currently dedicated to support the opposition.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.