GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Integrated Public Alert and Warning System Modernization Act of 2012 - Amends the Homeland Security Act of 2002 to direct the Administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to modernize and implement the integrated U.S. public alert and warning system to ensure that under all conditions the President, federal agencies, and state, tribal, and local governments can alert and warn the civilian population in areas endangered by a natural disaster, war, act of terrorism, other man-made disaster, or other hazard to public safety.
Directs the Administrator to:
(1) establish common alerting and warning protocols, standards, terminology, and operating procedures for the system;
(2) include in such system the capability to adapt the distribution and content of communications on the basis of geographic location, risks, and multiple communication systems and technologies and to alert, warn, and provide equivalent information to individuals with disabilities or limited English proficiency;
(3) ensure that specified training, tests, and exercises for such system are conducted;
(4) conduct public education efforts and a general market awareness campaign about the system; and
(5) ensure system coordination with the National Terrorism Advisory System. Requires the system to:
(1) incorporate multiple communications technologies;
(2) be designed to adapt to and incorporate future technologies for communicating directly with the public, to provide alerts to the largest portion of the affected population feasible, and to improve the ability of remote areas to receive alerts; and
(3) provide redundant alert mechanisms.
Authorizes the Administrator to conduct pilot programs for the purpose of demonstrating the feasibility of using a variety of methods for achieving system requirements.
Directs the Administrator to establish a subcommittee to the National Advisory Council to be known as the Integrated Public Alert and Warning System Subcommittee to develop and submit recommendations for the continuation and improvement of the system.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.