GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Subsidized Stafford Loan Reduced Interest Rate Extension Act of 2012 - Amends title IV (Student Assistance) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 to make the 3.4% interest rate on Direct Stafford loans first disbursed to undergraduate students between July 1, 2011, and July 1, 2012, applicable to Direct Stafford loans first disbursed to undergraduate students between July 1, 2011, and July 1, 2013.
Improper Payments Elimination and Recovery Improvement Act of 2012 - Requires the Director of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to:
(1) identify, on an annual basis, a list of high-priority federal programs for greater levels of oversight and review of improper payments;
(2) coordinate with agencies responsible for administering high-priority programs to establish semi-annual or quarterly targets and actions for reducing improper payments; and
(3) provide guidance to agencies for improving estimates of improper payments.
Requires federal agencies to:
(1) make quarterly reports to their Inspectors General on any high-dollar improper payments identified by such agencies, and
(2) review prepayment and preaward procedures and available databases to determine program or award eligibility and prevent improper payments before releasing any federal funds.
Establishes a Do Not Pay List based on information from databases maintained by the federal government, including the database of the Social Security Administration (SSA) reporting deaths of Social Security recipients.
Requires the Director to:
(1) determine the current and historical rates and amounts of recovery of improper payments and targets for recovering improper payments, and
(2) establish a plan for at least 10 Recovery Audit Contracting programs to identify and recover overpayments and underpayments in 10 agencies.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.