S 3238 RFH
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
July 9, 2012
July 9, 2012
Referred to the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs
To designate the Department of Veterans Affairs community based outpatient clinic in Mansfield, Ohio, as the David F. Winder Department of Veterans Affairs Community Based Outpatient Clinic, and for other purposes.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. FINDINGS.
Congress makes the following findings:
(1) David F. Winder, was born on August 10, 1946, in Edinboro, Pennsylvania.
(2) David F. Winder served as a Private First Class in the United States Army, enlisting in Columbus, Ohio, in 1968. His service in the Army ended in May 1970.
(3) David F. Winder was awarded the Medal of Honor, the highest honor in the United States awarded for valor to members of the Armed Forces, for his actions during the ambush of his company, on May 13, 1970, in the Republic of Vietnam for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as a senior medical aidman with Company A, 3rd Battalion, 1st Infantry Regiment, 11th Infantry Brigade, Americal Division.
(4) Unarmed, PFC Winder proceeded to crawl over 100 meters of open, bullet swept terrain to treat the 2 different wounded soldiers while suffering 2 serious wounds himself in the process. He was mortally wounded for the third and final time when closing to within 30 feet of a third soldier.
(5) PFC Winder was laid to rest in Mansfield Memorial Park.
SEC. 2. DAVID F. WINDER DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS COMMUNITY BASED OUTPATIENT CLINIC.
(a) Designation- The Department of Veterans Affairs community based outpatient clinic located in Mansfield, Ohio, shall after the date of the enactment of this Act be known and designated as the ‘David F. Winder Department of Veterans Affairs Community Based Outpatient Clinic’.
(b) References- Any reference in a law, map, regulation, document, paper, or other record of the United States to the Department of Veterans Affairs community based outpatient clinic referred to in subsection (a) shall be deemed to be a reference to the David F. Winder Department of Veterans Affairs Community Based Outpatient Clinic.
Passed the Senate June 29, 2012.