GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Consistency, Accuracy, Responsibility, and Excellence in Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy Act of 2012 - Amends the Public Health Service Act to require personnel who perform or plan the technical component of either medical imaging examinations or radiation therapy procedures for medical purposes to possess, effective 42 months after enactment of this Act:
(1) certification in each medical imaging or radiation therapy modality and service they plan or perform from a certification organization designated under this Act; and
(2) state licensure or certification where such services and modalities are within the scope of practice as defined by the state for such profession, if the state requires licensure, certification, or registration.
Exempts physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants from the requirements of this Act. Gives individuals who are enrolled in specified training or certification programs when the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) publishes the list of approved certification organizations an additional six months from the date of completion of the training program to become fully qualified under this Act. Directs the Secretary to:
(1) establish a program for designating certification organizations after consideration of specified criteria;
(2) provide a process for individuals whose training or experience is determined to be equal to, or in excess of, that of a graduate of an accredited educational program in that specialty to demonstrate that their experience meets the educational standards for qualified personnel in their imaging modality or radiation therapy procedures; and
(3) publish a list of designated certification organizations.
Authorizes the Secretary to waive standards under this Act or to develop alternative standards for rural or health professional shortage areas as appropriate.
Amends title XVIII (Medicare) of the Social Security Act to allow Medicare payment for medical imaging and radiation therapy services furnished on or after 42 months after enactment of this Act, only if the examination or procedure is planned or performed by an individual who meets this Act's requirements.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.