GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Designer Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2012 - Amends the Controlled Substances Act to:
(1) expand the list of substances defined as "anabolic steroids";
(2) authorize the Attorney General to issue a temporary order adding a drug or other substance to the list of anabolic steroids;
(3) impose enhanced criminal and civil penalties for possessing or trafficking in any anabolic steroid, or product containing an anabolic steroid, unless it bears a label clearly identifying the anabolic steroid by the nomenclature used by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry; and
(4) authorize the Attorney General to collect data and analyze products to determine whether they contain anabolic steroids and are properly labeled.
Specifies that a substance shall not be considered to be a drug or hormonal substance that is considered to be an anaboloic steroid if it is:
(1) an herb or other botanical;
(2) a concentrate, metabolite, or extract of, or a constituent isolated directly from, an herb or other botanical;
(3) a combination of two or more such substances (i.e., botanical or concentrate, metabolite, or extract); or
(4) a dietary ingredient for purposes of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. Requires any person claiming the benefit of an exemption or exception from being considered a drug or hormonal substance shall bear the burden providing the appropriate evidence.
(1) the United States Sentencing Commission to review and amend federal sentencing guidelines with respect to offenses involving anabolic steroids, and
(2) the Administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to report every two years on what anabolic steroids have been scheduled on a temporary basis under this Act.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.