GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Good Neighbor Social Security Office and Community Protection Act of 2012 - Directs the Commissioner of Social Security to develop and publish:
(1) financial guidelines that may be used to identify Social Security Administration field offices for possible closure, and
(2) standardized closure procedures that meet certain requirements.
Requires such guidelines and procedures to provide that identification of an Administration field office for possible closure shall not require the Commissioner to begin closure procedures for it.
Requires the Commissioner to:
(1) develop an office closure and service continuity proposal for any office so identified which the Commissioner decides to close that contains, among other specified items, the estimated cost of the closure;
(2) notify state and local chief executive offices and the public before closure;
(3) require the Commissioner to hold at least one hearing to take public comments before making a final decision to close a field office;
(5) issue a final closure decision only after review of such comments and evaluation of any alternatives to closing the office; and
(6) continue to operate an office proposed for closure in good faith and with the assumption of continued service until the notice of the Commisioner's final closure decision is made.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.