GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
9/19/2012--Reported to Senate without amendment.
(This measure has not been amended since it was introduced.
The summary has been expanded because action occurred on the measure.) Strengthening Protections for Children and Communities From Disease Clusters Act - Requires the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to:
(1) develop, publish, and update guidelines on an approach to investigate suspected or potential disease clusters, environmental pollutants or toxic substances associated with such clusters, or potential causes of such clusters;
(2) establish and operate Regional Disease Cluster Information and Response Centers and Regional Disease Cluster Information and Response Teams;
(3) ensure that the Office of Children's Health Protection has a prominent role in developing and updating such guidelines and in establishing and operating such Centers and Teams;
(4) establish Community Disease Cluster Advisory Committees to provide oversight, guidance, and advice relating to such investigations;
(5) provide support to individuals on such Teams and Committees through grants and cooperative agreements with institutions of higher education;
(6) compile and update a publicly available, online database that provides information relating to disease clusters; and
(7) use available authorities and programs to compile, research, and analyze information generated by actions authorized under this Act. Authorizes any person to submit a petition to the EPA Administrator, the Administrator of the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, and the Director of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences that requests that a Response Team conduct an investigation or take action to address the potential causes of disease clusters.
Authorizes the Administrator to make grants to any group of individuals that may be affected by such clusters.
Requires the Administrator to report annually to Congress, describing:
(1) the status of investigative activities under this Act,
(2) the pollutants or toxic substances associated with suspected or potential disease clusters,
(3) the potential causes of disease clusters, and
(4) ways to address such potential causes.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.