GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
6/5/2012--Passed Senate without amendment.
(This measure has not been amended since it was introduced.
The summary of that version is repeated here.) Celebrates the 60th Anniversary of the United States-Philippines Mutual Defense Treaty and the vitality of the bilateral relationship.
Confirms the alliance's centrality as one of the key pillars of peace, security, and prosperity in the Asia-Pacific region.
Expresses the sense of the Senate that:
(1) the United States should use the U.S.-Philippines Bilateral Security Dialogue and the Mutual Defense Board and Security Engagement Board to promote greater alliance cooperation and enhance bilateral security ties;
(2) the United States should redouble efforts to expand the economic relationship with the Philippines;
(3) the government of the Philippines should continue its efforts to strengthen democratic institutions to fight corruption, curtail politically motivated violence, expand economic opportunity, and tackle internal security challenges;
(4) the United States should designate an appropriate U.S. entity to ensure ongoing maintenance of Clark Veterans Cemetery in the Philippines; and
(5) the United States should continue efforts to assist the Philippines in the areas of maritime security, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief, and related communications infrastructure to enable enhanced information-sharing and overall military professionalization.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.