GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
(1) those who lost their lives due to the tragic earthquake of January 12, 2010; and
(2) the sacrifice of the men and women of the government of Haiti, the U.S. government, the United Nations (U.N.), and the international community for their response to the calamity.
Expresses solidarity with the people of Haiti as they work to rebuild their neighborhoods, livelihoods, and country.
Reaffirms the commitment of the House of Representatives to support long-term Haitian reconstruction.
Supports the Administration's efforts to:
(1) increase food security in Haiti through sustainable agriculture programs;
(2) shore up housing initiatives;
(3) prevent the spread of cholera, treat persons who contract the disease, and provide technical assistance to the Haitian Ministry of Public Health; and
(4) improve water, sanitation, and health systems.
Urges the President and the international community to:
(1) focus assistance on Haiti's public sector capacity to provide basic services,
(2) develop and improve communications and participatory mechanisms to more substantially involve Haitian civil society at all stages of the cholera and post-earthquake responses, and
(3) give priority to programs that protect vulnerable populations.
Urges the President to:
(1) make necessary resources available to U.S. and U.N. agencies, nongovernmental organizations, private volunteer organizations, and regional institutions;
(2) support U.N. efforts to eliminate cholera from the island of Hispaniola;
(3) lead humanitarian and development efforts with the government of Haiti, the Haitian Diaspora, and international actors;
(4) improve the monitoring of U.S. government-funded aid programs; and
(5) work with Haitian authorities and private landowners to prevent evictions of internally displaced person communities.
Expresses the desire for a clear understanding of what would constitute success in the priority areas identified by the Department of State.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.