GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Prevention of Escapement of Genetically Altered Salmon in the United States Act - Prohibits a person from:
(1) shipping, transporting, offering for sale, selling, or purchasing a covered fish, or a food product containing such fish, in interstate or foreign commerce;
(2) having custody, control, or possession of, with the intent to ship, transport, offer for sale, sell, or purchase such fish or food products, in interstate or foreign commerce;
(3) releasing such fish into a natural environment; or
(4) having custody, control, or possession of such fish with the intent to release it into a natural environment.
Defines "covered fish" as a salmon or other anadromous or marine fish (live or dead, including the gametes, fertilized eggs, offspring, and descendants) that is modified or produced through the application of recombinant deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) technologies, using DNA from an organism's own genome or that of another species, which overcome natural physiological reproductive barriers and which are not techniques used in traditional breeding and selection.
Exempts from such prohibitions fish, fish parts, or products confined for scientific research or collected to enforce this Act. Sets forth an additional exception if the Under Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere, upon reviewing any application requesting a federal agency to permit activity prohibited by this Act:
(1) prepares a finding of no significant impact in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969, or
(2) finds the application to be consistent with an environmental impact statement that includes an environmental risk analysis and specified assessments of costs and potential economic damage.
Directs each federal agency to promptly notify the Under Secretary when an action involving such covered fish or food products is first identified.
Authorizes the Secretary of Commerce to enforce penalties for violations of this Act under specified provisions of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.