GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Fisheries Conservation Act - Defines the terms used in this Act. Directs the Secretary of Commerce to promulgate regulations governing fishing in the fisheries zone and all high seas seaward of such zone by vessels:
(1) of a party to any international fishery agreement with the United States; and
(2) documented under the laws of the United States, or otherwise registered under the laws of any State, for the purposes of (a) fulfilling international obligations and (b) concerning and managing the fish in such waters.
Sets forth the procedures to be followed in the promulgation of such regulations, including the consideration of specified factors, publication in the Federal Register, filing of objections, and revisions.
Provides for the adoption of regulations submitted by interested persons.
Establishes the Atlantic States Fisheries Advisory Council, the Guy States Fisheries Advisory Council, and the Pacific States Fisheries Advisory Council to each:
(1) submit recommendations from all interested persons with respect to the administration of this Act,
(2) submit regulations for adoption by the Secretary,
(3) submit quarterly reports, and
(4) submit news regarding negotiations by the Secretary of State. Provides for the consent of Congress to any compact or agreement which is not in conflict with any law or treaty in force of the United States between any two or more States for the purpose of preparing regulations for submission to the Secretary. Prescribes the conditions under which agreements with foreign countries shall be permitted.
Imposes penalties for fishing violations of this Act by the owner or operator of any vessel and for knowing possession of fish taken in violation of this Act. Provides for the enforcement of this Act. Authorizes to be appropriated such sums as necessary to carry out the provisions of this Act.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.