GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
United States Enrichment Corporation Act - Establishes the United States Enrichment Corporation for the following purposes:
(1) to acquire feed material, enriched uranium, and the Commission's uranium enriching and related facilities, and to enrich uranium;
(2) to distribute enriched uranium to the Atomic Energy Commission for governmental purposes and to qualified domestic and foreign persons by sale or by the provision of enrichment services;
(3) to take all appropriate action to stimulate and assist in the development of a private enterprise uranium enrichment capability;
(4) to conduct its activities so as to strengthen free competition in private enterprise and assumption by private industry of full commercial and industrial responsibility for uranium enrichment as soon as possible, and promote international cooperation in matters relating to availability of enriched uranium for nuclear reactor fuel as well as retention for the United States of an appropriate share of the market for enriched uranium for peaceful purposes in cooperating nations;
(5) to expedite attainment of the maximum production potential of its own plans as soon as practicable in order to preproduce enriched uranium for future deliveries, while planning and, as circumstances permit, taking appropriate action to withdraw from its own commitments for future delivery of enriched uranium as private enterprise becomes able to assume such commitments;
(6) to operate, to the extent consistent with its other objectives, on a businesslike, economic, efficient, and self-financing basis;
(7) to transfer part or all of its business and properties to private ownership as provided for in this Act;
(8) to pursue in coordination with the Atomic Energy Commission and private industry, as appropriate, a vigorous course of research and development; and
(9) to take all other lawful action in furtherance of the foregoing purposes, except that the Corporation shall not construct any new enrichment capacity or additions to existing enrichment plants without an amendment to this Act expressly granting such authority.
Provides that this provision shall not apply to improvements, alterations, maintenance, or repairs to the existing Government-owned gaseous diffusion plants, or new enrichment capacity planned primarily for research, development, demonstration, or experimentation purposes.
Provides for the composition of a Board of Directors. Establishes an Advisory Committee on Uranium Enrichment to advise the Corporation. Authorizes the President, with respect to any matter in which he determines that the national interest so requires, to issue directives to the Corporation as to the exercise of its authority, and such directives shall be binding upon the Corporation.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.