GovTrack’s Bill Summary
We don’t have a summary available yet.
Library of Congress Summary
The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.
Antiterrorism and Air Security Act of 1986 - Amends the Federal Aviation Act of 1958 to direct the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration (the Administrator) to require the pre-employment investigation (including fingerprinting, if the Administrator determines it is necessary) of any employee with authorized access to:
(1) air carriers or foreign air carrier aircraft; or
(2) secured areas of U.S. airports serving such air carriers.
Requires that any fingerprinting ordered by the Administrator in a criminal history records check shall be submitted to the Attorney General for identification and such a records check.
Directs the Administrator to prescribe regulations to implement the pre-employment investigation requirement.
Prohibits, with certain exceptions, air carriers or airport operators from employing persons:
(1) without the pre-employment investigation; or
(2) if such an investigation indicates the existence of a factor which the Administrator determines warrants exclusion from access to aircraft or secured areas.
Establishes criminal penalties (including a fine and imprisonment) for the willful violation of the security program relating to secured airport areas or aircraft.
Expresses the sense of the Congress that the President should:
(1) undertake discussions regarding air transportation security measures with any nation serviced by U.S. air travel; and
(2) discourage U.S. air carriers from servicing any nation not cooperating in increasing air transportation security.
House Republican Conference Summary
The summary below was written by the House Republican Conference, which is the caucus of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
No summary available.
House Democratic Caucus Summary
The House Democratic Caucus does not provide summaries of bills.
So, yes, we display the House Republican Conference’s summaries when available even if we do not have a Democratic summary available. That’s because we feel it is better to give you as much information as possible, even if we cannot provide every viewpoint.
We’ll be looking for a source of summaries from the other side in the meanwhile.